Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Sea of Love

Since the moment that we had left to the beach for a family trip to Long Beach, Washington,  I have not been able to stop listening to Cat Power's version of Sea of Love.  Hits the spot, per se!  Swoon!

We left on Friday afternoon, and arrived to the true west coast around 10ish at night.  The drive was stunning, even when the sun went down, and kept reminding us that it was "ni-night time"!  Kiddo figured that out as soon as we hit the pavement in our Gummi van.  The scene on the way to the beach was heavily wooded, with homes tucked into blankets of trees and bushes.  You could just barely make out the silhouettes of these shanty's by there lantern lights, and the occasional moonbeams playing peak-a-boo with the hidden abodes.  It was magical.  It reminded me of home, and the road trips that we used to take in high school, just to camp on the beach and hear the waves.  It was nostalgic to say the least.  We immediately settled into our cozy hotel room, said hello to Jeff, Lee, Liz, and James, who had all went down early.  Jeff had bbq'd some chicken, we had a glass of red wine, and hit the hay!

The next morning we awoke to the amazing smell of french toast, and Elizabeth's strong coffee.  It was a delight!  We readied ourselves, and headed to the shore that was mere yards from our hotel.  It was beautiful.  Windy, yet warm with a glorious umbrella of clouds!  I miss the salty and sometimes harsh smell of the sea at low tide.  Once Kiddo started to get a little fussy, we all headed in for some rest, and lunch.  Jeff had barbecued salmon and a steak for me, while Kirk grilled bacon-wrapped prawns.  It was delightful! 

Afterward, Liz, James, and I went to Hobo Junction.  It was the closest "antique" shoppe to where we were staying.  Long Beach was full of them.  If I had the time, and funds (as well as an extra storage space)... I would have hit up every. Single. One.  Immediately, we walked up the walkway to what was once a house that was lived in at some time or another, and was now used as the shoppe.  There was an amazing wheel or helm to what have to had been an old ship somewhere.  It was wooden, and the paint was chipping.  I would have loved that.  There were old oil lanterns, door knobs, luggage, etc...   I ended up with a 1960's golden cigarette holder (it is a box with a bird, and when you push on the bird, it bends over and a drawer comes out, and it's open beak picks up a cigarette) which will only gather dust, an old creamer jar that is shaped like a cow, an old Coors framed picture with a cowboy, and an old photo of a couple that nobody wanted.  It was a steal.  Cheap!  I felt like I had won the lottery.  I want to go back.  We then proceeded to head to the main strip, which was all of 2 blocks long, to devour an elephant ear.  It was the worst one I have ever had.  Be that as it may, somehow it was still sugary and delicious.  

The last day, we went hiking to see the 2 lighthouses.  They were stunning, and quite the hike.  Sometimes, I think about how amazing it would have been to not have so much technology.  To be a lighthouse keeper.  To communicate in a more eloquent and simplified manner.  Seems amazing.  However, if that were the case, this would be a hand written letter.  Haha!  We had another fantastic dinner, and then headed for home.  Our GPS got us there quickly.  It was the same route, but it seemed to had gone by much faster.  I love that our GPS has a "home" button.  No matter where we are, we can always find our way back home.

Family update:  All is well in our cozy home that Lydia has helped create.  It is so warm and inviting!  Kirk is amazing!  Kay Kay has finished the 2nd album, and it is streaming up on our myspace page:  www.myspace.com/kaykayunderground  I love this album, it reflects our lives again, but is more current.  Heee!  Work for me is amazing.  I adore my job, and my co-workers.  I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity to get back to work.  I work my tail off, and love it.  Not too many people can say that.  I hope my bosses know this, as well.  Kirk and I will be celebrating our 3rd year of marriage (and 6 years of being together), and it has been hard work, but the FUN kind of hard work.  I couldn't ask for a better best friend.  Kiddo is 5 months on Sunday!  The time has flew by.  Poor bear is teething as well.  I think that Kirk and I are more excited about his chompers than he is at the moment.  I think that is about it.  We love and miss you all!

Below are picture of the trip, as well as a short video of Kiddo taking some steps (with my help of course).  Too cute!  (If the video does not work, go to youtube and enter Kiddo Huffman)



<span class=

<span class= <span class= <span class= <span class= <span class= <span class=<span class= <span class=
<span class= <span class=
<span class= <span class= <span class= <span class= <span class=<span class= <span class= <span class= <span class=<span class=<span class= <span class= <span class= <span class=<span class= <span class=
<span class= <span class=<span class=<span class= <span class= <span class=<span class=


No comments: